Chicken Soup - best with No. 18
Makes 7-10 bowls
- 1kg Chicken carcass
- 500g Chicken wings
- 2tbsp Rapeseed oil
- 1 Onion
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Bulb of garlic
- 1 Stick of celery
- 2 Leeks
- 2 Potatoes
- 1 Fennel
- 5 Sprigs Thyme
- 2 Bay leaf
- 2 Peppercorns
- 2 Sprigs Rosemary
- 2 Star Anise
- 1 Vanilla pod
- 1tsp Juniper berries
- 500ml In the loop No18 Chardonnay vermouth
- To cover Water
- 100g Butter
- To taste Salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 200°c.
- Place the wings and carcass in the oven for 30-45 minutes or until they are well browned.
- While the bones brown, peel and slice all of your vegetables thin and sauté these in the rapeseed oil using a large saucepan.
- Once they have softened, add in the herbs and aromats and sauté for 2 minutes or until you can smell them.
- Now deglaze the pan with In the loop No18 Chardonnay vermouth and use a spoon to ensure all of the caramelised sections are lifted from the base of the pan. Reduce this by half.
- Next, remove the chicken from the oven and pick the meat from the wings. [You may need to let it cool slightly] Reserve this for later. Add the carcass and wing bones to the saucepan and cover this all with water. Deglaze the tray that was in the oven with a little water and add this to the pan also.
- Bring this mixture to a gentle simmer and allow it to cook for a minimum of 2 hours, ideally 4 to extract all of the chicken flavour from the bones.
- Now remove the bones and discard, skim off any excess fat from the top of the soup and blend the mixture in a liquidiser while it is still hot; adding cubes of cold butter as you do.
- Pass the soup through a fine sieve and season to taste.
- Serve with the wing meat from earlier and any accompaniments.