Carbonara sauce with No 18 Chardonnay vermouth.
Deliciously creamy, this is a wonderfully easy recipe for a fresh pasta sauce. Just make and mix into any cooked pasta.
- 50g Streaky bacon or pancetta cut into small lardons
- 200g pasta of your choice
- 4 Egg yolks
- 5 chestnut mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 100g parmesan cheese finely grated
- 1 small bunch Parsley chopped
- 50ml In the Loop No 18 Chardonnay vermouth
- Salt and pepper
- Place a pan of salty boiling water on a high heat. You want a rolling boil, not simmering. Don’t add too much water as we will use this to bind our sauce.
- Cook your pasta according to the instructions.
- Begin by frying your bacon/pancetta lardons in a wide pan without oil over a medium heat. Wait until they have released most of their fat and have taken on a good brown colour.
- Next add the sliced mushrooms and continue to fry. The mushrooms will absorb most of the excess fat from the lardons. Fry for 2-3 minutes until the mushrooms are also cooked. Now add the garlic and immediately deglaze the pan with the vermouth and allow to reduce by 2/3, then remove from the heat.
- While they fry, make the sauce. In a bowl mix together your egg yolks, parmesan a little salt and lots of black pepper.
- While off the heat mix the lardon mix, the sauce mix and pasta together in the pan with a small amount of the, now cloudy, pasta water.
- Adjust your seasoning and top generously with chopped parsley.