Amaretto Sours Pastilles
Another adult treat, these have the distinct sweet-sourness of a lot of popular sweets but with the warmth of amaretto, kirsch and vermouth.
- For the pastilles:
- 60ml Amaretto
- 60ml kirsch
- 60ml In the loop Rose Vermouth
- 180g caster sugar
- 80g liquid glucose
- 10g pectin
- 10ml lemon juice
- 2ml almond extract
- For the sour sugar:
- 50g granulated sugar
- 5g citric acid
- In a saucepan put the Amaretto, Kirsch, Vermouth, 100g of the sugar and all the liquid glucose and bring to the boil.
- While this heats up, mix the remaining caster sugar with the pectin in a small bowl. Then slowly whisk the pectin mixture into the boiling pan ensuring no lumps are left. Continue to cook over a medium heat, while stirring continuously, until the mixture reaches 112°C on a thermometer.
- (If you do not have a thermometer you can test if the mix is ready by carefully removing a pea size amount and placing it in a cup of cold water. Remove it after 20 seconds and it should have formed a soft ball.)
- Once the mix has reached 112°C, remove it from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and almond extract.
- Pour the mixture into silicone moulds (of a shape of your choice) and leave to set for 2–3 hours in a cool, dry place or in the fridge.
- Whilst the pastilles set, mix the granulated sugar and citric acid in a bowl and set to one side.
- Remove the pastilles from the moulds and roll them in the sour sugar. You can sprinkle with more citric acid if you want them really sour.